New dutch oven user

New Members to start here, Please read the forum rules. Thank You. Seasoned Members, Lets Welcome Everyone.

New dutch oven user

Postby Denise Cobb » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:57 pm

Hi, made my first meal 2 weeks ago and have made 3 more since. From Rock Hill, SC
Denise Cobb

Re: New dutch oven user

Postby Camp_Master » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:01 pm

Hi Denise

Welcome to the forum. You've came to the right place as most of us are local to the Charlotte Area :)
Give or take 50 miles,

What did you make? Did you have fun? Let us know.

We will be at Kings Mountain next Saturday on 11/13/10 for a Chili Cook Out.

Come by and cook with us or stop by to say "Hello" All are welcome. :D

See you soon,
Dan
Dan "Camp Master"
Southeast Camper - Dutch Oven and Outdoor Cooking
The Camping Directory - Add Your Website Today.
Camp_Master
Site Admin

Postby LuLu » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:52 pm

Howdy and Welcome.

This is the place where I got my start and I'm hooked. Camp Cooking is fun. (I never thought I would say that)

Lu
LuLu

Postby Denise Cobb » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:23 am

My first meal was a pot roast with veggies in a 10 inch dutch oven. I found out quickly that feeding 4 hungry people that I needed a larger pot, although the roast came out great. I even made gravy in the pot after everything was done. So....to Amazon here I go....ordering a 12 inch dutch oven!

My next meal was a chicken recipe I got off the Internet made with cut up pieces of chicken, cream of chicken soup, and mushroom soup, sour cream, and rice. I was amazed how the chicken actually got really brown and crispy on top. Family loved it. That pretty much hooked me! Done in the 12 inch.

The next weekend was baked beans (my recipe....not a dutch oven recipe), over a fire pit with a tripod. Actually had the nerve to do that for company and the following weekend people were still raving over my beans.

Then this past weekend we cooked chili beans on a tripod over an open fire I did chili beans....my recipe. And along side of that I made cornbread. Now with my cornbread, I put a layer of bacon on the bottom of the dutch oven and pour the cornbread mix over the top of that. The bacon will brown on the bottom and just give added flavor. Both items won family approval.

Needless to say....I'm hooked! We have a camper on a permanent site up in the mountains of NC so we are up there frequently, but not so much during cold weather. So now I'm debating buying a dutch oven for the house!
Denise Cobb

Postby Oysterpot » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:28 pm

Denise Cobb wrote:Needless to say....I'm hooked! We have a camper on a permanent site up in the mountains of NC so we are up there frequently, but not so much during cold weather. So now I'm debating buying a dutch oven for the house!

I think the best is carry the iron back and forth. That is what I do, my iron is kept in my truck thus I can set up and cook any time any where. You can never have too much iron. Iron needs to be used.
Oysterpot

Postby Denise Cobb » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:05 am

That is probably what I'll end up doing.
Denise Cobb

Postby Camp_Master » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:56 am

Hi Denise

Looks like you've been cooking up a storm.

Hope to see you at Kings Mountain this weekend, where we'll be cooking up a storm.

Look forward to meeting you.

Dan
Dan "Camp Master"
Southeast Camper - Dutch Oven and Outdoor Cooking
The Camping Directory - Add Your Website Today.
Camp_Master
Site Admin

Postby Denise Cobb » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:16 pm

Camp Master:

Not sure if I'll make Kings Mtn. or not....we may be headed back up to the mountains. If not I may drop by though. I'd love to see you "experts" at work! I can't believe there is so much on the Internet about outdoor dutch oven cooking.

I found a pretty good price on a 12 inch deep oven online that I have ordered so that I will have one at my house and not have to bring mine from my place at the mountains. I didn't have a deep one anyway so it will come in handy.

Thanks for all the support out there!
Denise Cobb

Return to Introductions and Greetings, Say "Howdy"