Clam Bake 2010

A place for discussing other types of cooking. Propane Cookers, Low Country Boils and Bakes.

Clam Bake 2010

Postby Camp_Master » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:44 pm

Hi Everyone

I feel like I've been gone awhile. With the Dutch Oven Gathering at Kings Mountain and then my trip to Ohio for a Clam Bake. This is the first weekend that I can relax and do some writing.

I wanted to show ya'll a few pictures of the Clam Bake. Why they call it a bake is beyond me, when everything is steamed, but none the less "GOOD EATS"

Image Image
Image Image

We had 40 dozen clams bagged in cheese cloth, topped with celery, onions and carrots. We added 2 chicken quarters, 2 sticks of butter, salt and Old Bay Seasoning. For the liquid we used 1/2 gallon of water and 1/2 gallon of chicken broth.

About every 30 minutes some clam broth is drained out and poured back over the clams keeping everything moist. Then after about 1 1/2 hours the chicken and veggies have giving up there flavors and the clams are ready to eat with melted butter. The broth from the clams is wonderful, it has that briny seafood taste from the sea. Dang! is it good on those chilly Ohio nights.

Along with the clams we had fried chicken, clam chowder, potato mac 'n 'cheese, cole slaw and assorted desserts. There was something for everybody.

If you ever get a chance to go to a Clam Bake, DO IT!

If enough of ya'll like clams and would like to do a clam bake, let me know, we can have one here in the Carolinas.

Thx,
Dan
Dan "Camp Master"
Southeast Camper - Dutch Oven and Outdoor Cooking
The Camping Directory - Add Your Website Today.
Camp_Master
Site Admin

Re: Clam Bake 2010

Postby Oysterpot » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:48 pm

If ya keep it with fried chicken, I might consider. Just don't do the clams though. :)
Oysterpot

Return to Outdoor Cooking