Is it Barbecue or Grilling?

Join us at KD's for discussing just about everything not related to outdoor cooking, the weather or just to chew the fat.

Is it Barbecue or Grilling?

Postby Camp_Master » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:57 am

Hi, Everyone

While growing up in the south we would have a "Cook Out". A Cook Out covers just about everything, Barbecue, Grilling, Dutch Oven and Campfire Cooking. Still to this day I use the term "Cook Out"

I'm mentioning this because I have people tell me they had a Barbecue. I'll ask them what they made and they will say Hamburgers and Hot Dogs. What! Hamburgers are not Barbecue.

Here's how I see it.

Barbecue - Meats that are smoked or cooked over a fire, LOW and SLOW. Usually for hours. Most will have a rub of some sort applied and served with a sauce at or near the end of the cooking process. Examples: Pork Shoulder, Whole Chickens and Briskets.

Grilling - Meats that are are cooked over a fire, fairly fast, taking less than an hour. Most vegetables are grilled. Examples: Hamburgers, Chicken parts, Fish, Seafood and Steaks.

The reason I'm mentioning this is the chefs on the Food Network and the Cooking Channel use the terms Grilling and Barbecue synonymously.

I know that the "definitions" are similar, but in the south where I grew up, they are very different. So to be on the safe side, just say " I Cooked Out". :P

Thx,
Dan
Dan "Camp Master"
Southeast Camper - Dutch Oven and Outdoor Cooking
The Camping Directory - Add Your Website Today.
Camp_Master
Site Admin

Return to KD's Place